Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Home stretch...

Wow, it's been a busy month. I can't believe how time flies. The good news is, we've got our house on the market as of today. There are still a few minor touch ups to do before our first open house this weekend, but the realtor can come in and take pictures now. We've been burning the midnight oil to get things done, but it's nice to be almost there.

We were hoping to be done this past weekend, but a few things threw us off schedule (namely, the satellite installer taking 5 and a half hours to install a satellite dish. The house was already wired, there was an old dish already installed, and we had all the equipment set up. Should've taken 20 minutes.) We also pushed back our first night in the house. It was originally going to be last Tuesday (but we were busy at the old house), then Wednesday (but Tim's parents came up to help us out), then Thursday (but Tim's flight out of La Guardia got cancelled and he was stranded in NY city.) Finally, Friday at about 7 PM, we packed up the pets and headed over to the house.

The dog has adjusted really well to the house--not surprising, since he's not easily upset unless his "people" aren't around. The cats have been a different story. We got them set up in the basement, and they freaked. Rosie, the little black cat, found a way to scale the concrete block and climb into the insulation in the ceiling of the unfinished basement. Extracting her was no fun. We sort of expected her to adjust pretty quickly--versus Lily, the gray and white cat, who took several days just to come out from under the bed when we first got her. It's been the opposite. When we're home, we open the door from the basement and let them come up into first floor if they want. Lily started exploring pretty quickly, and Rosie's a lot more skittish about it. They are making progress, but I think it'll be a while before they totally adjust.

It's been an adjustment for us too. We've been so busy finishing up at the old house that we've done very little unpacking. Trying to find things is never fun. And we don't really get to enjoy the house much since we have been coming home from work, grabbing something to eat, and then heading out to work on the old house.

It's taking a toll on me physically too. I've been up beyond midnight many nights. I've pulled muscles and overworked myself. Not good, really. But, I know that I'm pretty much done with that now.

I've also been bad about my eating habits. We haven't been cooking much, and we've lived off of leftovers from our parents and quick-fix foods. I haven't gained any more weight (which is good, I need to level it off a bit. I've gained nearly 20 pounds, and I'm only 28 weeks. My goal for the whole pregnancy was 25). But last week, my one-hour glucose screen came back borderline, so this morning I am doing the full 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I've got one more time point to do. It hasn't been much fun, but then again, you can't really expect it to be, right? Fasting, drinking sugary junk that makes you want to vomit, and four needle sticks in three hours isn't fun for anyone, but I'd like to know if I have gestational diabetes or not. Even if I don't, it's been a wake up call that I need to get back to eating healthy like I was earlier in the pregnancy. I'm getting lots of exercise with the move, but I need to do more relaxing activities (like walking) and have less stress overall.

I'm hoping things come back ok with the sugar test. I guess my mom had a few abnormal glucose screens with us five kids, but she never had gestational diabetes. Still, anything I can do to help out the baby, I'll do it. Even if it's not fun.

I am hoping things settle down soon. With the old house being almost done, the new one functional but chaotic, and my thesis committee meeting being over after Monday morning, things should be much less stressful in a week. I didn't get everything done experimentally that I wanted to before my meeting (stupid cells got contaminated again. I think it's coming from the other guy in the lab, since his always get contaminated first). Still, I'm hoping I've put together a decent enough story that they can see where I am going with things. I'm not as freaked about my meeting as I should be, really.

Other than my cousin's wedding shower this weekend, I think there's very little on my schedule. I desperately need to catch up on some sleep. Other than that, things are moving fairly well.

I do have some pictures of the old house, the new house, and some pregnancy shots (heaven help me, I feel like Jabba the Hut in these pictures) that I'll get from my camera onto the computer in the near future, I hope. First, we have to reassemble the computer desk, then hook up the computer again, hope the DSL is working, and go from there. It's on the to-do list, really. I just haven't gotten there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment