Monday, July 16, 2007

MIA

Sorry about the last two weeks. Things have been completely insane. I'm hoping the big push to finish up the house stuff will be done this weekend, thus allowing us to get back to a semi-regular schedule. I'll give you the synopsis:

-We signed the papers on the new house last Wednesday night, and we got the call at about 10:45 Friday morning that the house had transferred. Tim picked up the keys Friday afternoon, and by Friday evening, we were in the new house!

-These last two weekends have been completely insane. My parents came up and painted about 8-10 hours each day two weekends ago, and they came up Saturday evening while we were at a wedding to paint and landscape at the old house. Tim's parents have come up several times to help with things, and this weekend his mom and aunt cleaned the new house both Saturday and Sunday, and his dad, uncle, and cousin joined the party Sunday and helped us move the big stuff. I don't know what we would've done without all of the family help.

-We're nearly done fixing up the old house. There's a small amount of painting left to do. And I need to do a final cleaning of each room once the pets are out of the house. Add a little landscaping and some miscellaneous stuff, and we should be ready to have it on the market early next week.

-We've been insanely busy, but I think both Tim and I have had moments where we've been totally overwhelmed by the situation. I keep feeling like someone is going to come and tell us to get out of their house. I'm in total awe of how quickly the entire process has gone, and I'm still amazed that we were able to find our forever house. With the last year and a half of frustration with house stuff, I had nearly given up hope that we'd ever find something. To not only find something, but to find something so nice that hit all of our requirements so perfectly, seems unreal. I keep thinking I am going to wake up from this dream at some point.

-It's also been bittersweet moving out of our current house. The changes we've made make it look like new (and we keep asking ourselves why we didn't do this five years ago). And we have a lot of memories in this house. We've been here for five years, which is the second longest amount of time I've ever lived in a house. We've done our first home improvement projects here, got our first pets together, and generally just made a lot of good memories. I sort of feel guilty about abandoning our first space together so quickly as soon as something better came along (is it weird to feel guilt for an inanimate object?) I know I'll be sad when we leave, but we'll always have our memories.

-I think tonight may be our last night in the old house. We got our new mattress delivered today (so far, the only new piece of furniture for the house. We're trying not to go crazy). We're going to be working on the old house tonight, so we'll probably stay there, but tomorrow we may officially move everyone over to the new place. It's going to be so bizarre. I'm excited and sad at the same time. We'll probably be back at the old house nearly every day for a while, but once it's on the market, we only need to check in on it every few days. Weird.

-That's the story. Tim and I are totally exhausted. It's getting harder and harder to sleep as I get further in the pregnancy (I'm in week 27 tomorrow, which is the third trimester. How bizarre is that!). I actually was woken up by baby girl yesterday from a dead sleep when she started doing gymnastics. Her little kicks and flutters are now periodically punctuated by explosive punches and flips. It's getting less adorable and more painful, but I am comforted by knowing she's there and doing ok.

-Oh, and my thesis committee meeting is two weeks from today. It's awfully hard to focus, but I'm hoping to get a little more done before I give my talk. But honestly, this is the least stressed I've ever felt about a meeting. It's not that I think I'm done with experiments--far from it. It's just that there's so much else going on in my life (that will affect my life forever) that stressing about a committee meeting seems unimportant. I think it's healthier for me to have some distance from the lab, but I need to make a point to not neglect it either. A happy medium would be good.

-That's it for now. I'll put pictures up at some point in the near future. Hopefully things will start to slow down soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment