Sunday, September 16, 2007

California fire

(from bigbeargrizzly.net)

My sister's camp ground, where she is living/teaching this year, was evacuated due to a wild fire on Friday. She's safe, which is what is important, but it looks like the campground got hit pretty hard. One of the buildings looks to be lost, and they tried to save some of the other buildings by spraying foam on them. I guess they won't know the extent of the damage until the fire is contained. Considering the fire has already burned more than 15,000 acres and is only 12% contained, I don't know when that will be.

I feel for her. I know she got some of her things out, although her cell phone wasn't one of them, so we haven't been able to call her and check on things. She's been online pretty often though (hi, Amy), so we know she's ok.

I can't imagine. I'm not great about disasters. I was living in DC during Sept. 11, and I had a tough time being hours away from anyone I knew (I had just moved in not even a few weeks earlier). At least she's got a community she knows at the camp to help deal with this. Natural disasters are one of my biggest fears though--I'm a huge control freak, and what can you control less than mother nature? That's why my requirements for when we move: no earthquakes, no tornado alley, no hurricanes, no wild fires. Yes, that does actually leave a few sections of the country (Ohio is part of that), but it cuts out most of the coasts and the middle of the country. But, that's the price I'm willing to pay.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know what was up with Amy. I'll let you know when I hear something from her. Like I said, at least she's safe--we just don't know about her camp yet.

And this is one site that's been posting updates (and here's another). You can also search Butler II fire for more info too. And just keep Amy and the other people at the camp in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment