Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Moving right along

Not that I think people lie in wait to hear the state of my cervix, but just in case you do, here's the latest from the doctor:

Today, I am 2 centimeters dilated, 70% effaced, and at a -1 station. The baby's head is down (the doctor could feel it during my internal exam).

The -1 station means she's already descended a bit ( floating above pelvis is -5, middle of pelvis is 0, baby's head crowning is +5, to give you a reference).
(from healthline.com)
She didn't think labor was coming super soon--she still had me schedule my appointment for next week--but we're on our way. She said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for me to go into labor before next week (and she'll be out of town for a few days, so Murphy's law says that's when I'll go into labor). But she thought it might still be a week or more.

Good news is, since the baby's in the pelvis, the chances of her head coming up (and thus our needing a c-section) are very low. There's always things that can happen during labor that necessitate a c-section, but we won't need to schedule one.

So, we wait. The contractions have actually settled down a little over the past few days, so while last week I woke up every morning thinking she was coming that day, now I think it might be a little while.

That's what I know. I'd love for the baby to come sooner rather than later, but I guess I'll keep experiments going for a little while. As pumped as I am that we won't need to schedule a c-section, it would make planning a little easier.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment