Friday, December 21, 2007

Back to work

Well, I've been transitioning back to work this week. It's had ups and downs. It's really hard to leave Sophie every morning (hence why, with the exception of today, I get into work about an hour later than I originally planned.) But once I get into work, it's not so bad. I still miss her, but I know she's ok with my family. And it is nice to have conversations with other people--I really missed getting the dish with Ming and Kim.

And I have to say: Dr. B is being surprisingly human. Almost nice. I was reserving judgement until this morning--we had our big meeting about where I'm at and where I'm headed. And it went as close to "well" as it ever does. Really, I was pleasantly surprised. And he was also a bit clearer about the timeline in the lab. He said this grant should run until the summer, and he put in the renewal and is writing another grant, and we should know about those about the time this grant runs out. So, as long as I can get my butt out by summer (or at least be in the home stretch), I should be good.

And if I can make a concentrated effort to be more efficient--not necessarily come in 7 days a week, just be better about what I spend time on--I think there's a chance I could be done by then. I still have a lot of experiments to run. A whole lot. But I'm going to give it a shot.

So yep, that's how things are going here. I definitely wouldn't day I'm happy to be back in the lab, but I'm happy about it in the sense that the sooner I get these experiments going, the sooner I'm done and can go back to med school, and then the the sooner I finish everything and can have a real job (hopefully one where I get some family time).

It's weird to be back. And I'm having a bit of Sophie-missing right now. But I am working through it, and I know it'll work out in the long run.

I'll try to post again before Christmas, but just in case I don't, have a Merry Christmas! (Oh, and as for the picture picking of the previous post--I ordered both and sent them out randomly. The votes between the blog and the family were 50/50, so I just couldn't pick!)

No comments:

Post a Comment