Monday, March 03, 2008

Nothing terribly deep

I'm just trying to blog as an attempt at preventing the blog-less stretches from getting too long. It's totally possible to let the dry spell last a week, then two, then three, etc. I'm off the hook busy, but here's what's happened in the last week:

-The biggest news is that my brother and sister-in-law are pregnant. I wanted to make sure that was public knowledge before I blogged about it. I'm still in shock, mostly. I didn't figure they'd have a baby for another year or so, so I was totally taken off guard.

It's happy news, don't get me wrong. But I'm in that baby-rearing phase where I want to rent a giant neon sign that says, "Don't do it!" Well, maybe that's a little harsh. But I'm definitely telling everyone I know that is on the should-we-or-shouldn't-we fence to wait a little while. I'm so totally overwhelmed on a daily basis that I wish maybe we would've waited some more. But then we wouldn't have Sophie--and I wouldn't trade her. It's sort of a puzzle, I guess, as to whether I would do it the same way over again.

I just feel so unprepared, and I thought that really, Tim and I prepared pretty well. We saved for five years, we read all the books, we took all the classes. And we still feel like we weren't ready! But maybe we would've had an easier time if we would've flown by the seat of our pants. If I am anything, I am an over-preparer.

-So besides the baby news, everything else is pretty minor. I've got my thesis committee meeting tomorrow, which I don't figure will go well. Mom and I have tickets to see Wicked tomorrow night, and I am totally pumped about that. Tim and I saw the tax man Saturday morning, and between buying a house and having a baby, we should get some refund money back. Other than that, nothing exciting.

It's so amazing to me that I can feel so busy all the time and yet have so little to say!

Oh, Sophie did get her four month shots on Thursday. She's still a giant baby--95th percentile--but she's consistent. She's about 17 pounds even, and she was almost 27 inches long. I think this weekend we'll have to move from 6-9 month clothes into 9-12 month ones. Unreal!

The doctor did give us the go-ahead to start solid foods (although I still have a hard time considering rice cereal and baby food as "solids"). We gave Sophie her first little bit of cereal Friday night, and it seemed to go over pretty well. Of course, it also went everywhere. A lot of that was me--I forgot to put the bib on her until after her first spoonful. And apparently I didn't have the bib on very well. Judging by the cereal experiment, it's a good thing we went from eating over white carpet to eating on tile!

I've got video (from my camera) of Sophie's cereal experiment. I'm not sure how to post it, but I may try that later this week.

I'll try to update after my committee meeting, but it may not happen until Wednesday. I go from my meeting to the VA to Wicked. And somewhere in there, I need to go vote. I need to make sure Dennis Kucinich is no longer my congressman. (Yes, that Dennis Kucinich. The little gnome that keeps trying to run for president and sees UFOs). I'm not too picky about the rest of the primary election.

1 comment:

  1. good luck at your meeting! i've got one coming up next friday!

    ReplyDelete