Monday, April 28, 2008

Off the hook

Ok, so I know I said I'd be better about blogging. Sorry. Things have been insanely busy round these parts. What you've missed:

-I had 10 hours of seminar just from Monday-Wednesday for my department, plus I am gone Tuesday afternoons at the VA clinic. So I had a near-impossible time getting any experiments done for a few days. Really, I have 6 hour time course experiments, with samples every half hour. Help me out here!

-Oh, and then the new chair of our department scheduled an 8 AM meeting on Thursday with less than 24 hours notice, so I was up crazy early to get childcare figured out. And what did we talk about for about 2 hours? The department renovations. And he didn't listen to our input anyway.

-And then the food at the Thursday student seminar made me so sick I couldn't come in on Friday. Maybe fried chicken from a place called Hot Sauce Williams is not such the good idea?

-I had probably my toughest patient since I started doing the VA clinic a few years ago. He was the last appointment of the day, at 3:20. He didn't show until after 4. And then I spent over an hour with him. He was a paranoid schizophrenic convinced his medications were killing him. He's diabetic with very high cholesterol and high blood pressure. He stopped taking glipizide and metformin, metoprolol and lisinopril, and gemfibrozil and simvastatin. Basically, he was on his psych meds and verapamil (which he shouldn't be on metoprolol and verapamil at the same time anyway) and that was it. I talked to him every way I knew how. My preceptor came in and did the same thing. But nothing we could say would convince him to take his meds. He's only about 40 or so, and he could easily be dead in the not too distant future if he doesn't take his meds. I felt so defeated after seeing him. I got a pep talk from my preceptor, but that didn't make it better. We couldn't just admit him without a medical condition, and he was actually fairly well-controlled psych wise, so that wasn't an option. I just had to let him go and hope he didn't die.

-Sophie turned 6 months old on Friday. I had a yoga party that night (which was exactly what I needed, although I had concerns my GI system wasn't going to permit me to go). It was hosted by a friend of mine who knows a yoga instructor. Once or twice a year, we get a private yoga session and then have healthy food (and lots of girl time) afterward. I never know anyone other than my friend the hostess, but the women are always super nice. This time, all but one had kids three or younger, so we talked a lot about baby stuff. It was nice to get out and vent a little. And Tim did a great job with Sophie on his own for a few hours.

-Saturday my cousin needed to go to the art museum for her class, so Tim, Sophie, and I went too. And Sophie didn't yell! I was a little concerned, since the art museum is closed for renovation except for the traveling exhibit. And this exhibit was armor, so there wasn't a lot of color to keep her interested. Sophie did amazingly well though.

-After the art museum, my cousin was kind enough to watch Sophie for a few hours so Tim and I could get out of the house. We couldn't decide what to do. So, we went to Lowe's for about an hour and a half to look at paint. Just when we though we committed on a shade of blue for the bedroom, we decided we weren't sure and wimped out. Then we went to Kohl's, walked around, and didn't buy anything. We did stop at a gas station for a Dr. Pepper and a raspberry iced tea. And we stopped at CVS because batteries for my camera were on sale. And then we came home. Sounds like a hot date, right?

-Sunday Jen came up. We followed her back to college to bring her futon home, and she bought us dinner on campus. And then on the way home, Sophie had a meltdown. We crashed my cousin's house (she's Sophie's new BFF, so of course Sophie stopped screaming when we got there), changed a diaper, and then headed the rest of the way home. Another hot date.

-Today I'm busting butt to get experiments done, then I've got another departmental seminar from 4-5, and then I've got another few hours in lab. I'm trying to get as much done as I can.

-Tomorrow I'll be in during the morning, but then Sophie's got her 6 months shots in the afternoon. I can't wait to see how big she is! I swear she even grows overnight.

I've got all sorts of random topics that have been on my mind. If things slow down this week, hopefully I'll get the chance to discuss them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment