Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I really love Halloween--I can't tell you why, but it's always been one of my favorites. We used to decorate the house with our scary school projects and cardboard cutouts (we had a life size cardboard glow in the dark skeleton with all the bones on metal punches so you could move the limbs around). We always got dressed up (in basically the same costumes). I was seriously a witch for like ten years in a row. Then again, some may say that I still am:)

I haven't decorated much, other than putting out Tim's parents' large electric pumpkin. Tim hates "Punky", as he is called, but I promised his mom I would give him a good home. I think he looks awfully cute on our front step.

I didn't carve a pumpkin this year, but we did get to take one home from Pumpkin Day a few weeks ago. That's a step in the right direction. I love cutting out all the pumpkin guts. I'm not super artistic in my carving, but I try my best. Maybe next year I'll actually carve one.

Sophie brought her costume to day care this morning. I didn't put her in it, but every other kid in the place had theirs on, so I changed her into in once we got there. I'm sure it didn't last long. It does look darn cute though. I'll get some pictures later tonight and post them.

In other news, lab is moving ahead. I have a ton on my plate. I'm writing my proposal for the new project, finishing up writing the old project, and I just sent my first paper back out for submission yesterday. Yes, for those of you keeping score, I wrote that paper two years ago. It got rejected twice, and then the postdoc/now junior faculty that is submitting it with me sat on it for a while to get more data. He's been a big help, basically taking on all of the submission and new data work, so I can't complain too much. But I was getting a lot of pressure from my committee to submit it. So, I tried to be as nice as possible while still saying "move it along!" I think it worked.

I've got an abstract due on Monday for this new project. It's difficult to do much without data, but I'm trying. I've also got to start thinking about my next committee meeting, and I'm also going to write for a fellowship that is due in January. So things will continue to be busy. I am hoping that by being very thorough in my proposal it will save me time and energy further down the road.

So, that's why I've been sparse. Sorry. Next week is going to be nuts, but then things should calm down some. Or at least that is what I am telling myself.

I'll post Halloween pictures later. I'm sure they'll be cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment