Friday, October 24, 2008

Rest

Can I just tell you that I have the best husband ever? I've been burning the candle at both ends (and then some) for over a month, and it's really taken its toll on my body. I was basically a walking zombie last night. After dinner, Tim took over Sophie duty and told me to catch a nap. I fell asleep at 6:45.

And I woke up at 8:45. Awesome.

In that time, Tim watched Sophie, gave her a bath, gave her a bottle and her antibiotics, and put her to bed. By the time I got up, everything was done for her!

Part of me missed my Sophie time. But I also realize it doesn't do her any favors to have a zombie for a mom.

When I got up, I finally had enough energy to tackle whole house cleaning. Tim took the day off work today to finish up, but it shouldn't take him more than a quick dusting/vacuuming because of everything we got done last night. I've got to go grocery shopping, pick up the cake and pizzas tomorrow, and buy some balloons, and we're done!

I'm working hard to finish up my new proposal for the lab, but I'm stuck on synthesizing some of my thoughts. I've got to get something hammered out by the end of today though. It's not like I can't keep thinking about it and change it down the road. But, as a fellow blogger of mine pointed out earlier this week, it's hard as a perfectionist to just let things be fine. I want it to be perfect the first time, especially since I want so badly to make a good impression on the new lab. But, it's a draft. Fine may have to do.

And, as I need to remember, I'm not in this alone. My last two labs were very fond of the island philosophy: every project is its own deserted island, with no connection to others. You were left to figure out how to survive, and maybe prosper, on your own. The new lab is much more collegial. I need to get used to checking in more and asking for help. It'll move things along tremendously.

I did not, unfortunately, fall asleep right away last night. Actually, it took me until about 2 AM to finally nod off. The reason? Mostly stubbornness. Part of it was the typical to-do list running through my head. But the biggest reason? My feet were cold. And it took me three hours to finally suck it up, get out of bed, put on some socks, and fall asleep. I kept telling myself I'd deal with chilly toes and fall asleep eventually. Seriously--how stubborn am I that I couldn't take 30 seconds to get socks? That's a metaphor for my life if there ever was one.

Anyway, despite only getting 4 hours of sleep overnight, the two hour nap did wonders. And, it let me get ready enough for the party that I think it's really doable to be done with things before people show up (not typical of my parties).

For now, I'm off to finish my proposal. I'll have pictures after this weekend, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment