Thursday, December 11, 2008

Uh oh

I just got an email from my alma mater, where I am teaching in the spring. Apparently, the class I am teaching is high demand and actually closed out, and there is a waiting list of students trying to get in. Now, a class of 25 doesn't seem huge, but in my school, I think only organic chemistry had more than 20 students. Most were 10-15. And I have 25.

That's no biggie for the classroom stuff--more to grade, but doable. The issue is the lab. I had things set up for pairs of students, with just a few groups in the lab. This will definitely change that. They are even talking about finding me a TA!

I'm a little nervous about all of this. Actually, I'm petrified. I figured I could make it work with 10 students. Especially in the Weekend College--they are non-traditional students and generally eager to work hard. Now I think I have mostly traditional college students just taking the Weekend College course. That might be a different story.

Oh crap. What have I gotten myself into?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Bg,

    Maybe the reason so many people signed up is because they found out you were teaching that class!

    You'll do fine!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete