Friday, January 09, 2009

Complete panic attack

I'm used to having a lot on my plate. But I think I've officially overdone it...

Tomorrow is my first day of teaching at my alma mater. It's 4 hours lecture, 2 hours lab every other weekend. I was supposed to have 10 students--I have 27. I was supposed to have a lab TA--I don't.

And at the same time, I am writing a predoctoral fellowship for my lab work. It's due the 28th of January. And I just found out that my grants office wants it by the 20th of January. And although we've been discussing it in general for a few months, we only started reviewing specific aims TODAY.

So, this has been a stressful week. To top things off, the weather is forecasting a winter snow storm. It's supposed to come in this afternoon (Friday), peak tomorrow, and linger till Sunday morning.

And I called the college, and they want me to come in by 7:30 AM tomorrow morning to get my ID, computer access, etc set up before I teach at 2 PM.

Which means:

-I have tonight to finalize 4 hours of lecture and plan the next class's notes (so I can assign reading/homework)

-I will have to drive through a snowstorm, on notoriously poorly maintained roads, in the dark tomorrow morning (long story--I was in a car accident in snowy weather on those same bad roads when I was in college)

-I need to be there waaaaay earlier than I planned, and I'll likely be there from 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM. Which means I'll have to leave my house before 6 AM and be home about 10 PM if all goes well.

-Oh, and the undergrads aren't back yet, so none of the cafeterias will be open. And seriously, the closest food of any sort is at least 3 miles away, down some very curvy and hilly backroads

-Sometime this weekend, I need to write about 20 pages (single spaced) for my grant. I'm guessing that will be happening Sunday

This teaching gig seems like more and more of a bad idea as time goes on. Did I mention I am making very little money in all of this?

I know if I can get through this first class, things will be easier. And with the awful snow, I have to think a lot of students may not show up. But, I have to be there. And unless the college cancels classes tonight (which they never do--once in ten years, I think), I'll be there in the morning anyway. It would figure that they would cancel class once I'm already on campus...

Yeah, so I'm a little stressed. No wonder I haven't been sleeping much this week.

I'm most nervous about the snow driving. I have a history with these roads. There are some aspects of going to a rural college that are wonderful. And the hilly terrain really is beautiful. But rural + hilly = crappy winter driving. And my little Honda Civic isn't a big help.

So, if you are into it, say a little prayer for me tomorrow. I think God and I will be having a chat the entire time I am in the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment