Tuesday, February 24, 2009

time flies...

Sorry, sorry. I didn't realize that almost two weeks has gone by since the last post. Being this insanely busy is both good and bad. It's good in the sense that I don't have a lot of time to stew about negativities. It's bad because I also don't have time to talk about the good things.

So, in a nutshell: my paper from my first lab got accepted today! It's in a no-name journal, and there are a few minor revisions, but we're finally getting that out there (almost three years later...). Really, we had gotten decent reviews from some good journals, but it seemed like there was always one reviewer that killed it. So, at least it's out there somewhere.

Also good: I had a great time last week with the lab. My PI bought us all tickets to an orchestra concert being put on for the university. We had dinner and drinks beforehand. It was really a nice time. It reminded me again of how a change in lab environment makes all the difference.

Also also good: we though Sophie was coming down with chickenpox last weekend. It had been going around daycare, and she had only gotten her second booster shot for chicken pox the week before. She started with the upper respiratory thing and then developed spots on her trunk. I was panicking as to how we were going to keep her home for a week. But then the spots disappeared, and we were good. Talking to my pediatrician friend, apparently it's pretty common to get a small area of rash after getting the vaccine. Thank god it wasn't full blown chicken pox!

Bad: we are currently moving back into renovated lab space in the department. This has been a total pain in the ass, and it has prevented me from getting any real work done.

Also bad: teaching this weekend college class. Let me clarify--I like the actual class time. I enjoy teaching. But the prep and grading is killer. I'll take a picture of the stack of grading I have to do before the next class and post it. It's insane. I spend about 3-4 hours grading per assignment, and this week I have three labs, a homework, a quiz, a presentation, and a paper assignment to grade for each of my 27 students. While I am trying to do revisions for my paper. It'll be awesome.

Also also bad: snow. I am so done. Let's just leave it at that.

But in all, Sophie's good, Tim's good, the house is a wreck, I desperately need to go grocery shopping. Things will continue to be nuts for the next several weeks at least. But, once this class is done in April, the lab is moved in, and the snow is no longer falling, I think things will be much easier.

And I'll try to be better about posting. Till then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment