Friday, March 13, 2009

Breather

I don't like to post about Tim being out of town while he is actually gone--call it internet paranoia--but he has been gone since Monday and is finally coming home tonight (Friday). It was the worst timing possible. I had two super early days this week, and my parents and brother were leaving to visit my sister out west. The trouble with my early days is that day care isn't even open by the time I have to leave. So, I had to figure out how to get Sophie to day care.

Thankfully, my sister in college came out and stayed with me the night before each of my early mornings. I left at 6 AM, Jen got Sophie to daycare around 8-8:30, and then she went to class. I have no idea what I would have done otherwise. It's been one more example of how tough it is to have both Tim and I working weird schedules/traveling. After this winter, I REALLY want to move south for residency, but I think we'd have to pick up the family and move them too. There is no way I can be on call/working 80 hour weeks if Tim has to occasionally travel. Just can't do it.

It's been tough in general. Sophie's in a fussy phase, so it's a battle from the time I pick her up until she goes to bed. And she's been waking up every hour or so. Wednesday night she was up every hour on the hour. I thought I was hallucinating--every time I looked at my clock, it was exactly x:00. She has some internal clock!

And, since I sleep so crappy anyway, I've had a few sleepless nights. I've had tons to do around the house, plus all the grading for teaching (interim grades are due today), plus the usual work/Sophie stuff. I do love spending time with Sophie, but I am looking forward to some time off!

Actually, today is that time. The university gave us a "spring break holiday" day off. Apparently, they do it every year, but I've never been in a lab that observes it before. Then again, my last lab didn't observe Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc either.

I took Sophie into daycare today so I can get some work done. My to-do list is HUGE. I have ton of grading left to do before the end of the day, the house is a wreck (despite my best efforts), and there are all sorts of errands that need to be done. I figure I'll pick Sophie up early, but I need at least a few hours to get things done without her. When it's just me, it's tough to take her to the store by myself, so I'd rather go alone. Plus, I don't want to throw her schedule off too much. That will only make the long nights longer.

It's just been a long week. I really don't know how single parents do it. I think they should be sainted. Really.

But, the long week is almost over. Sophie will be in bed by the time Tim gets home, but they'll have bonding time tomorrow. J from the lab and I are doing some girly errands, and it'll be nice to do something laid back!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know why it's been a while. As usual, lots of deep thoughts have been floating around that don't make it onto the blog, but teaching is done in three weeks, and then I'll have more time! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment