Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sporadic

I know things have been sporadic on here--bear with me. I know I say it's busy around here all the time, but the last few months have been absolutely nuts. It'll be tough until probably mid April. Once I'm back from my conference, things should settle down. Till then, the updates, in list form:

-We've been making drawings to try and build a deck this summer (it's great having a father-in-law who is a retired carpenter!). However, funding has hit a snag. We were going to apply for a home equity loan, but there are two issues: one, most home equity loans use the 80% rule. They take the current appraised value of your house, figure out what 80% is, and then subtract the balance on your mortgage. Well, home values have dropped since we bought our house. Using the 80% rule, we'd probably only have one or two thousand available to us, which is not nearly enough for a deck. Two, we had a fraudulent charge show up on a credit card we never use. I contested it, but that meant the credit card company put a freeze on our credit report. So, even if we wanted to apply for a loan, they couldn't access our credit report until this other issue is cleared up. Long and short: probably no deck this year.

-Class is going ok, I guess. I'm finally hitting my stride with grading/prepping, which figures. I only have one class left. I've had a few individual issues with students. For example, I have one who didn't write her mid term paper or give her presentation. Together, that's 25% of her final grade. I tried working with her on it, but ultimately, she just didn't want to do it. I'm not sure if she's going to write the longer final paper or not. If she does, that means her max grade is out of a 75% (and she's hardly got 100% on everything else). If she doesn't, her max grade is a 60%, which is failing. So, that will be fun. I'll have mostly A's, a few B's, and an F. Really, it's not that tough. Why show up to every class, do the homework, but not do the paper? It was only 3 pages.

-Lab is ok too. Experiments aren't going the way I had hoped, but we can still use the data. There are some potentially interesting experiments lined up for the future, but they are also very expensive, so I'm not yet sure that they will actually happen.

-Sophie is very good. Yesterday we started with "no." It was very cute--she was in the tub, and she didn't want to get out, so every time I hung up her washcloth, she said "no." Ask me in a few days or weeks if it is still cute and I may have a different answer! She's developing into such a little person. She's really growing her vocabulary. It used to be just "mama" and "dada", but now we do duck, dog, bubble, bowl, more, cheese, up, and no. I know there are more, but it seems like we get new ones every day. It's so fun!

-I'm still not sleeping. I can't tell you why not. I've tried everything I think is safe, but no luck. Every so often it just wipes me out. Monday night, Tim got home a little before 7, and I just crashed. I didn't sleep the whole night, but I just couldn't stay up. I felt much better Tuesday, of course, but it was back to 3-4 hours of sleep a night (on a good night) after that. Mornings like today, when I have to be up at 5, don't help. But even when I have a decent chunk of time available to sleep I still have trouble. I'm surviving, but I'm really hoping that my body will get back into a rhythm soon.

-I am FINALLY getting my hair cut this Saturday. I am embarrassed to say this, but it has been over a year since I got it cut. When I donated to Locks of Love last February, I had to cut it short to have enough hair to donate. I HATE short hair. I hated it so much that I let it grow out into a poofy mop just because it was long. Well, enough. Jessica and I are going to the Aveda school Saturday morning. I'm getting highlights and a cut, and I am thrilled. I have no idea what I am doing to it yet. I just wanted something a little more professional before my scientific meeting in April. I am nearing 30--time to get rid of the elementary school hair!

-I am also planning my garden. I am totally pumped. Every time I see cheap seeds at the store, I buy some. I am sure I now have enough to plant an acre of land, but I'm looking to do about 40 square feet or so. I can't wait! I miss my fresh veggies and herbs. Nothing is near as good as home grown!

I think that's it for now. Tim's winding up his final class for his second bachelor's degree, and he'll be walking at graduation in May. I think we are going to have a cookout to celebrate on the 4th of July, but I have to confirm that with all the fam first. I don't want to overlap with other people's events.

I know this is pretty boring stuff. You'd think with being so busy, I'd have more to talk about. Sorry, not so much. But if something fun does happen, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment