Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas Eve

It's already been a day (and a week) of ups and downs. Tuesday was a good day at work (minus a few frustrations): drew bloods myself on rats successfully, figured out a problem I've been having with my Western blots, and did a steroid knee injection on a patient (with supervision, of course). Wednesday involved a nice lunch with a friend but not a lot of sleep and a ton of anxiety, due to my sister's surgery.

Jen is doing much better today and should be discharged soon. I'm scheduled to take the evening shift with her, but that may be complicated. This morning, Sophie woke up vomiting. This is the second time since she's been born that she's thrown up--she did it once when she was six months old, and that's it. We've made up for it with respiratory stuff, but the GI's been pretty good (she didn't get that from me).

It hasn't been bile-y vomit--no need to go into a ton of detail, but I think it might be more that the house is dry and she has some drainage that is making her gag. No fever, she's very active and wants to play, and she just seems...fine.

Tim's going to stay with her tonight while I'm with Jen, just to be safe. He's not heartbroken about missing his family's Christmas--for once, the drama has been on his side of the family and not mine. We're really playing all of Christmas by ear. It all depends on how Jen and Sophie are doing.

I think Jen's surgery was even more serious than any of us expected. They actually took her top jaw, moved it forward, rotated it, and pulled it down in the back. They also did some work on her septum and lip, and they actually had to move the facial nerve a bit. She'll permanently have plates and screws, and she can't chew for six weeks, but since they didn't have to do the work on her lower jaw, she doesn't have to be wired shut.

I guess she is night and day compared to yesterday. I didn't get to see her yet, but I can't wait to spend some time with her. I was very relieved to get the update that things are going well. Not that there is anything I could've done, but that didn't stop me from worrying.

So, it may end up being a bit of a chaotic Christmas, but I think in a way it's really working to reinforce what's important: spending time with family. I'm looking forward to mass tomorrow to get back in tune with the reason for the season, but prioritizing around what is best for family makes Christmas seem even more important. As my mom said, this is one year. Next year we can be back to the usual. For now, we'll try and see extended family when we can, but if it can't happen at the big events, we'll make some personal visits over the next week and try to catch up.

It's been a good but exhausting week, and I'm sure that will continue for the next few days. I just want to say Merry Christmas, and I hope that this holiday brings you together with the people that are important in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment