Monday, January 25, 2010

Jitters

I'm sitting in the waiting room of the hospital, not quite halfway through my 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Fun stuff. I ended up here because I failed my 1 hour glucose challenge. The same thing happened when I was pregnant with Sophie. I failed that 1 hour challenge (just barely) and then had to do the 3 hr test (which I passed).

I fasted for the 1 hour challenge with Sophie, but this time I ate breakfast. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I sort of do: I was thinking that if I had food in my stomach, maybe it would slow the absorption of glucose and make my reading lower. Except that I ate a whole wheat bagel. At about the same time I drank the nasty orange sugar water crap. Right after I did that, I realized I'd be failing the test.

Sure enough, I failed it. I missed it by more than I did with Sophie, but I didn't have double the reading or anything crazy like that. Unfortunately, taking the 3 hour GTT is not a good time. You have to fast overnight (no big deal), and then you have to drink 100 g glucose solution on an empty stomach. THAT is terrible. I get all nauseous and jittery, but if you vomit, you have to come back and do it again. And that is not something I want to do!

You also have to sit still in the waiting room for the entire three hours. I brought my laptop with me this time, despite the spotty wireless, in the hopes that keeping busy would prevent me from realizing how terrible I am feeling. That hasn't worked 100%, but I am willing myself to not get sick.

I'm nervous about the outcome of the test. I'm hoping not to have gestational diabetes--I've been feeling fine, but that doesn't matter--but at the same time, I can't say I'd be shocked. I've been eating ok. I haven't done a lot of junk food/fried food/sweets, but I also haven't been able to cook as much from scratch. The quick fix meals we end up with a few times a week are usually high carb and as low salt/fat as they sell (which still isn't terribly low). I know my diet has been fairly carb heavy. That is something I've been meaning to change, and it will have to change if this test comes back positive.

I have a lot of emotional turmoil about this. I know that having gestational diabetes sets the baby up for future metabolic issues. I also know it means I may have another big baby. Even without the diagnosis last time, Sophie was 9 lbs. She was also overdue, which I am hoping means she would've been a little closer to an average weight had she arrived on time. Both for my sake and the baby's, I don't want to deliver another 9 pounder. I also know that having gestational diabetes means I am at increased risk for developing type II diabetes in the future. I do have some extended family members with the disease--another reason I am praying Sophie and Josh get more of Tim's genetics!

I really want to improve my diet and exercise patterns, both now and after I have the baby. I know life isn't going to get calmer, and I've got to find a way to make it a priority. I already get very little sleep--but finding another hour or so a day may have to come out of that time pool.

We'll see how the test turns out. Even if the test comes back ok, I may ask about seeing a nutritionist. I feel sort of stupid asking, since I am a medical student doing some diet-related research. It's not like I don't know what is good and bad for me. I'm looking more for some real-life suggestions that also fit in a busy schedule.

I should know how things are looking in a few days. Till then, I'll keep focusing on not puking or passing out. I don't think I'll ever be able to drink orange flavored anything ever again...

No comments:

Post a Comment