Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cross your fingers

Well, after working ten hours in lab (plus several at home) on Monday, and eleven plus hours in lab yesterday, I've gotten a half day today by virtue of having an ultrasound in the morning. And I'm hoping the ultrasound changes the plan.

Yesterday, I met with my boss, and I (think) convinced her that the best plan of attack was to back off on the writing/figures of the paper for a bit and let me finish the experiments that actually require me to be in the lab. Best case scenario with those was that I could finish them by working up till Monday of next week (including both weekend days coming up). I didn't like it, but I really need to get these done. She saw my to-do list and agreed that would be the plan.

Well, I am hoping that plan may not work out. And not just because I don't want to come in this weekend.

Tim and I went for my ultrasound this morning. As of right now, Josh is estimated at 90th percentile, and 8 lbs 10 oz. And he could potentially gain 1/2 a pound (or more) a week from here on out. Plus, his head circumference is the size of a 42 week baby (instead of one at 38 weeks 3 days). He's actually increased in percentile since our last ultrasound, which suggests that indeed the weight estimate is likely pretty close (or even a little under).

The technician was joking with us, and as she left, she said, "Good luck!", referring to his size/big head.  The doctor came in, and he actually was very nice but very upfront about the fact that he thought we should be induced ASAP. He said that the ACOG recommendations didn't include induction for large babies, but his exact words were that "they are a bunch of morons." He said that risk for shoulder dystocia was very real with large babies, and the best predictor of baby size was size of previous baby. Since Sophie was over 9 lbs, he thought odds were good Josh would be very big (and potentially too big).

He said that absolutely I shouldn't go overdue, and he was going to call my doctor today and recommend induction. He knows her very well, and he called her "rational," so we'll see. He seemed to think she was on call this Friday and might want to do it then.  I know she has clinics this morning, so I don't expect to hear anything until late this afternoon. It is probably still a bit on the wishful thinking side of things, but I would love to be done on Friday. I know he's big--and I can tell he is getting bigger. If the biggest contraindication for induction is c-section, I think in my case the risk is equal to needing a c-section if we wait because he's so big.

And actually, I spent some time on PubMed and UptoDate last night when I got home, and apparently the risk for c-section after induction is high in first time moms, but in women with previous deliveries, there was no increase in c-sections with induction. And I've already got a favorable cervix (seriously, favorable cervixes and proven pelvises? Crazy).  So I am hoping my doctor will be open to talking about it.

Worst case scenario is that I go in for my regular appointment on Friday, and I don't get to be induced this week. My due date is the 2nd, so something has to happen in the next week and a half.

So, if I get induced Friday, I won't be in this weekend. That screws things up for me experimentally, but I'll figure it out. I'm going to wait to talk to my boss until I have some more information--I don't want to freak her out unnecessarily. But here's hoping.

On the plus side, if Josh is almost 9 pounds, and the estimates for what maternal fluids/tissues weigh at the end of pregnancy are correct, I do feel better that I am mostly baby. My abdomen is gigantic, and my feet/legs/hands are swollen, but I've tried to be good about not putting on too many pounds of junk food.  Not that I got a smaller baby by watching my diet...guess genetics sometimes can't be persuaded.

I'm crossing my fingers we'll have some news soon. I may call if I don't hear anything by the end of the day. I'm pretty antsy. Understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment