Tuesday, March 15, 2011

MIA

Sorry to be MIA all of February, and March/April isn't looking much better. I have about 6 half-finished posts saved up, so I'll try to get to them as I can. Here's the brief update:

I finished outpatient pediatrics/obgyn/family medicine about two weeks ago.

I also developed shingles about 2.5 weeks ago, right on my left temple (V1 distribution for you medical peeps). It was painful, and it swelled to cover part of my eye--while I was taking shelf exams. I am sure my scores will be awesome. I talked to my dean about it, so we'll see what happens. It's mostly resolved now, though I do have some residual pain. Here's hoping for no post-herpetic neuralgia!

I started surgery last Monday. I HATE IT. I don't mind the procedures or the patients, but the culture is awful. I had the resident tell me yesterday to stop being nice to patients (I took 10 seconds to put the patient's socks back on after we checked pulses). It's a miserable schedule, a miserable rotation, and it will get worse before it gets better. I'm on vascular surgery now, which at least has limited anatomy to be pimped on. I do general surgery in another 1.5 weeks, and that will be awful.

So, I am up at 4, home at 7 (if I am lucky), on call overnight one night/week, and on one weekend day each week. That schedule has absolutely no time to study, since when we are not in surgery we help run the floor. No time to study or read on patients at the hospital means I have to do it at home. I have about an hour with the kids, then I try to accomplish what I can from 8-10, then bed between 10-11 to get up at 4 again. I was on right after daylight savings on Sunday, so it was like 3:15 AM. And did I mention we don't get to be post-call? Because of our lecture schedule, we can take a nap for a few hours, but we aren't allowed to miss any scheduled AM or PM lectures (or AM rounds). That is awesome too.

I absolutely hate surgery, but I only have to last a total of 8 weeks. However, until the end of April, things will probably be sparse. I'll try to update the half-posts I already have, but I can't promise much more than that.

Ugh. Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment