Thursday, April 07, 2011

Another toddler

Josh officially started walking today--he's been taking 2 steps at a time for a few weeks, but then he would either lunge or sit down. Today, he took multiple steps multiple times, so we're calling it--he's officially walking!

Sophie had an adorable (though preciously out-of-tune) recital tonight for day care, and it really jumped out at me how much the two of them have grown these last few months. I feel bad that I've been missing it with 14 hour days, overnight call, and working one weekend day each week. I keep telling myself it isn't forever--I'll never have a "normal" schedule, but after residency, I'm hoping it will at least be more manageable.

It was another pimptastic day in surgery today--I got singled out by the ICU attending, who pimped me on hyperkalemia for about half an hour. I didn't get all the answers right, but I think I held my own. I can't say the same for the other three hours of pimping I got today, but oh well. Seven more days.

Also, we have a patient on the floor with CRKP. Scary stuff, really, but I am not surprised. These patients get put on vancomycin/linezolid/zosyn/imipenem/etc like it is candy. Antibiotic resistant bugs are a huge problem. Hence, why I was my hands a million times a day (and bugs like C. diff don't come off with the antibiotic foam--you need to actually wash your hands).  Between the superbugs, HIV, Hep C, and TB, I'm sort of amazed our patients have any healing ability left in their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment