Monday, April 30, 2012

3 months

Where has the time gone? Noah is 3 months old today. Last week, Josh turned 2, and Sophie was 4 and 1/2. I have absolutely no idea where all of the days are going, but life just keeps moving faster and faster!

So, current stats:

Eating: well. About every 3 hours when he is napping well, a little more frequently when he's up. No latching issues with him since day one. Also, I haven't begun a pumping schedule yet to prep to go back to work. I've just been pumping before and after I go out of the house (like all the med school teaching stuff I've been doing). Somehow, I always end up with a lot more pumped that he drank. From that, I've got about 250 ounces of breast milk already in the freezer. Glad we have a chest freezer downstairs--I ran out of room in the main freezer! I'm hoping that the success with feeding continues--I know things will get a lot tougher when I am on the wards.

Sleeping: slowly getting better, but not great. I am not exaggerating when I tell you we have tried EVERYTHING to get him to sleep. If it's on babycenter, an online forum, or been done by anyone I know, we've tried it. Against my better judgment, he is sleeping in the bed, between Tim and I, because the only way he sleeps is to hold onto my face with both of his hands. Even then, he is up every 3-4 hours--which is much improved from the up every 90 minutes we were doing before. By the time I feed and change him, that was giving me only about 45 minutes of sleep in bursts. Now I get 2-3 hours at a time--if he isn't restless. Unfortunately for me, he is a loud, active sleeper, so I often get up to make sure he's ok or replace a binky. It's still a work in progress, but it is getting better. I really want to get him out of the bed ASAP (especially since I rolled out of the bed the other night, due to space issues). We know about pillows, blankets, etc, and have tried to make the bed as safe as possible, but I will feel much better when we can get him into the crib. The bassinet is now too small, because he wakes himself up with all of his activity (that inevitably hits the side of the bassinet). I'm working on the crib thing...

Routine: I'm trying to get him more on a schedule, which seems to have gotten him to the 3-4 hours of nighttime sleep stretches he currently has. Baths just wake him up, so we do those in the morning. I am trying the eat-play-sleep routing during the day. I don't wake him up if he is sleeping, but I'll feed/change him, then play with him for a bit to get him tired, and then get him back to sleep no longer than 2 hours since he got up. He likes to be part of the party, and the overtiredness was making him a bear to deal with at night. I'm working on the daytime nap situation too--so far, he'll only sleep in the swing or if I am holding him, which I am trying to work on too.

Can you tell that we were so desperate for any type of sleep that we tried everything?

Otherwise, things are good. The three amigos get along very well, and Sophie and Josh have both taken extreme interest in helping out with their little brother. The car got small quickly. We realize we will have to scale up to a minivan eventually, but we are trying to hold out as long as possible.

We've already upsized from 0-3 month clothes to 3-6 month clothes a few weeks ago, and Noah has hit a growth spurt that suggests we'll be moving up again in a few weeks.

I'm not getting as much done as I had hoped--this is more than twice as long as I was off with the other two--but I'm ok with it. I'm enjoying our time. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss just have some alone time, or time with other adult humans sans kids, but I know residency is going to limit my kid time in the near future.

So yeah, time is flying. We've already brought up the exersaucer and the Bumbo seat, which Noah enjoys for brief periods. He is a loud, chatty boy who loves to smile and squeal (no real belly laughs yet). Pretty soon, he'll be rolling over (he's done it once already by accident), jumping in the jumparoo, sitting up, eating cereal, and probably getting teeth. These next few months will fly by too, I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. Med school and 3 children? Wow..I am so impressed. I have three children too (they are grown now) and my husband was a military officer so he was deployed much of the time. The time does fly by. When all got into college I was like..What???? Where did the years go? But it's fun to see them grow, develop their own interests and careers.

    ReplyDelete